Showers are a sacred place. A sacred place where you clean yourself, as the hot water runs down your face. But when you wipe your face and open your eyes, you notice yellow mold in your shower. You notice this mold not just on the ceiling, but in every crevice you find. So what is it?
Yellow mold above your shower can be alarming at first glance because it actually looks like slime. Fungi that produce the yellow hue are often Aspergillus, which is one of the most common forms of yellow mold.
This mold is often found outside but tends to make itself at home in a damp shower environment. You would probably notice it at first glance because it’s a bright color. This is, of course, something that you are not going to want to look at when you are trying to bathe yourself.
It is important not to worry because yellow mold is actually one of the least common mold types to have to grow in your bathroom. Yellow mold grows when it has an environment to do so, and unfortunately, your bathroom is the perfect place like basement. A shower provides the mold with a breeding ground. The damp atmosphere combined with shampoo residue can quickly lead to an uptick in mold.
Some important places for you to check are your bathroom vents, bathroom tiles, bathroom walls, and a bathroom ceiling. It might be gross to look at, but it is also important to know what you’re looking at.
So now you may be wondering, is the yellow mold above your shower toxic?
In many cases, this mold is not necessarily toxic and is not a cause for alarm. Although it may look slimy and gross, unless you have a weakened immune system it will have no impact on your daily life. While it may not be toxic to most, it can be toxic to some so it’s important to know the risks. Yellow mold can the elderly, pregnant woman, and newborn children at risk for a respiratory infection.
You may also read Black Mold Health Effects Treatment
Now, of course, you don’t want yellow mold in your shower, so it’s important to understand how to prevent and remove it. Yellow mold is relatively easy to remove from your home. All that is required is a spray bottle with a water and vinegar solution.
The solution should be made up of mostly water, with about 25% being vinegar. You spray the mixture in the area that is impacted, and let it soak for about ten minutes. After letting the solution soak on the surface for ten minutes, you can safely scrub the mold off of the surface it is occupying. Letting is soak is an important part of the process, because it neutralizes the fungi’s ability to reproduce.
Yellow mold is something that can be very gross to look at, and very alarming to happen upon. It is important to know the details of it, and how it can have an impact on your home. Hopefully, now that you have read this article, you’ll be better prepared to handle yellow mold above your shower.