Mold is something that everyone hates. This is especially true for the yellow slime mold in the mulch. Dealing with mulch is hard enough on its own, and now you have to deal with moldy mulch?
What is a yellow slime mold? Where does it come from?
The yellow mold that grows outside is often the species Fuligo Septica. The more common name, slime mold, is derived from the yellow shine it gives off before turning grey. Another name for this mold is dog vomit and based on its appearance the name is very fitting.
So where does this mold come from? This particular type of mold grows due to excessive watering, and prolonged periods of rain cause it to grow naturally. This is one of the main reasons you should never over water the area, and always remember too much moisture is the reason for this type of mold in the first place. Prevention for this type of mold is often difficult because the weather is out of our control. The best method of prevention for this mold is to try and keep your mulch as dry as possible.
How do you get rid of moldy mulch?
Yellow mold is something that can grow in many different environments. Whether that be your kitchen, bathroom, or backyard, you’re going to want to know how to remove it. Removing mold on your mulch is a bit different than removing it in your home.
The risk of it spreading to other areas, or more mulch, is greater when you’re outdoors. There are two easy ways to get rid of this mold, and don’t worry this mold is not going to cost you. The easiest way to remove this mold is to let nature run its course. Sunlight, as well as dry conditions, are a natural way to dry up yellow mold growing on mulch. The second way to get rid of this mold requires a bit more work on your end. If you want this mold gone quickly, you will need to dig it out.
Digging out this type of mold is effective, but you have to be careful not to leave any behind. It’ll grow back quickly if this area is continuously overwatered, so remember to keep it as dry as possible.
Is it safe?
Yellow mold is not necessarily toxic when you’re outdoors, but should still be handled with care. This is especially important in cases where younger children are in the area or playing outside. In this case, it is possible for the mold to increase the chance of a respiratory infection. The plus side of this particular mold is that it is also not toxic to your lawn. So, if you don’t feel like removing it, you can rest easy knowing that your lawn will remain just fine. Allowing nature to take its course is always a great option.
So you found yellow slime mold growing on your mulch. Don’t be alarmed. It will likely run a course of its own, and be out of your mulch before you know it. This mold is safe for you and your lawn, but if you really don’t feel like looking at it make sure to keep your mulch as dry as possible.